28 Nov 2020
Hiking Trip - Wadi Harba - Batroun District
Our next hiking destination will be Wadi Harba, in Batroun. This is a newly set trail, in an area where ancient caves are being discovered.
Wadi Harba is the valley separating Batroun from Jbeil. It spans from the seashore at the Madfoun bridge, all the way up to the Saint Joseph Monastery in Jrebta and the Elige hill in Kattara. The valley was part of the Wheat road that links Jbeil to Baalbek, traversing Elige – Kattara. Wadi Harba was the first habitat for Christians at the times of apostles, who crossed the old Roman road located at the sides of the valley.
According to some accounts, the apostles even stopped at the location for a while. Christianity spread in the valley in the first century BC and numerous churches, sanctuaries, monasteries and hermitages were built in the location, and it was long considered a preferred destination for Christian pilgrims. Nowadays, ancient monuments and churches are being restored, to give the region back a long lost status as a pilgrimage destination.
During our hike, we will discover a great number of ancient caves and old abandoned houses.
There will be two levels: Level 3 and Level 5.
Both levels will start the hike together in Madfoun, and walk up on a hill that is not very steep. On our way uphill, we will stop by a water spring known as the Mar Youhana Maroun spring. Then, we will pass by ancient grottos that are carved in stone, as well as old churches, before continuing to Saint Rafka. We will visit the Saint Rafka monastery and have the chance to buy their local produce, and Level 3 will stay at the location for a while.
Meanwhile, Level 5 will continue their way up to Saydet El Bzez Monastery, also known as Al Qattine Monastery, which is also being restored. Level 3 will join the rest of the hikers by bus at the location, and we will all go back to Beirut.
WHERE: Wadi Harba - Batroun District
50 km from Beirut,
50m – 400m above sea level
WHEN: Saturday, November 28
MEETING PLACE: 7:15 AM in the parking of Sagesse School in Jdeideh, facing the public garden. (See map on:
There will be a breakfast stop along the way.
PRICE: 70’000 LL per person including transport, guides and insurance.
Kindly get the exact change to avoid transmitting germs.
Looking forward to see you! Until then stay safe.
DO NOT FORGET TO:
• Get your own light snack that will boost your stamina and keep you energetic.
• Equip yourself with your own water bottles a cap and sunscreen.
• Distancing from each other is a must, offering or sharing snacks are not encouraged. Keep a windproof jacket in your backpack.
WHAT TO GET: Medical face masks, Handgel, lunch, light snacks that will boost up your energy such as dried fruits, water, cap, sunglasses and sunscreen. Wear comfortable shoes such as hiking shoes and always keep a windproof jacket in your backpack.
- Children with the age of 10 and younger will have a discount of 20’000 LBP
- Children/ Teenagers between the age of 11 and 18 will have a discount of 15’000 LBP
- University students will have a discounts of 10’000 LBP provided that they present their university card
- Groups with 5 to 9 persons, with different criteria than the above, will get a 5’000 LBP discount
- Groups with 10 or more persons, with different criteria than the above, will get a 10’000 LBP discount
- Cancellation with less than 24 hours’ notice will be charged half-price
- Reservations with less than 24 hours’ notice will be charged an extra 5’000 LBP
(e.g. Cancelling or booking for a Sunday’s event on Saturday will be subject to the above terms)
ESSENTIAL ECOTOURISTIC RULES & REGULATIONS
- Smoking is strictly prohibited during the event
- Always follow the guide on the designated trail
- Do not go off road without notifying the guide
- Do not get close to a cliff especially when the guide in charge tells you not to do so
- Although accidents are covered by the insurance but they remain under the responsibility of the member
- Sometimes, due to reasons beyond our control, slight modifications to the program may occur. Ecotourism rules must be followed, otherwise personal accidents will not be accounted for by the insurance.
RESERVATION: Every day from 8am till 5pm on 03-917190 or 79-115001. It is preferable to send an SMS or WhatsApp from your mobile, giving your name, surname, and the event you wish to join.
- “Sports Experts” is the exclusive sports gear and outfit sponsor of Vamos Todos. Members will get a special discount at all “Sports Experts” branches in Lebanon
- “LIA insurance” is the exclusive insurance company sponsor of Vamos Todos.
Reserve for this Event
Back to all the Events