19 May 2019
Hiking Trip - Mar Antonios - Kozhaya - Ehden District Qadisha
Our visit this time to the “Holy Valley” will be mainly focused around one of the most important monastery in the valley, Mar Antonios Kozhaya.
“Kozhaya” originates from Syriac meaning "the treasure of Life".
The Monastery is located at 950 meters above sea level and was built at the beginning of the fourth century. Despite being looted, set on fire and demolished, some vestiges dating back to the seventh century still remain.
In 1993, the Monastery was reestablished. In 1994 the great underground basement was restored and now serves as a museum where the printing press of 1783 and various manuscripts, liturgical objects, ancient pottery, and a crozier offered by Louis IX, King of France (1226-1270) are still maintained.
In December 1998, the Monastery Saint Anthony of Kozhaya, was classified by the UNESCO as worldwide cultural heritage along with the valley of Qadisha and the Cedars of Lebanon.
The Monastery of Kozhaya encloses a library where archives, scholarly compendia and Syriac manuscripts can be found
The hike will be divided into two levels that will start by visiting the monastery all together.
Level 3 – will take an uphill trail, about 200m. Once we reach the top, we will take a downhill track heading to Freidis, a wonderful small village, to the water dam, some old shacks and amazing views.
Level 6 – will take a longer upward trail, about 600 meters uphill starting from Mazraet el Nahr passing through a bushy trail until we reach the monastery of Mar Antonios Kozhaya, where we will meet with level 3 and continue together. The trail goes a bit further uphill, then it becomes downhill all the way to Freidis. Throughout our trail we will pass by the large water reservoir, called “The Dam” renowned for being a major water source for the area.
WHERE: Arbet Kozhaya/ Qadicha Valley
Zgharta district – North Lebanon
650m - 1250 m above sea level.
80 Km from Beirut
WHEN: Sunday, May 19
MEETING PLACE: 7:30 AM in the parking of Sagesse School in Jdeideh, facing the public garden. (See map on:
There will be a breakfast stop along the way.
PRICE: 55’000 LL per person including transport, guides and insurance. (Please get the exact change to facilitate the registration process).
WHAT TO GET: Lunch, light snacks that will boost up your energy such as dried fruits, water, cap, sunglasses and sunscreen. Wear comfortable shoes such as hiking shoes and always keep a windproof jacket in your backpack
- Children with the age of 10 and younger will have a discount of 20’000 LBP
- Children/ Teenagers between the age of 11 and 18 will have a discount of 15’000 LBP
- University students will have a discounts of 10’000 LBP provided that they present their university card
- Groups with 5 to 9 persons, with different criteria than the above, will get a 5’000 LBP discount
- Groups with 10 or more persons, with different criteria than the above, will get a 10’000 LBP discount
- Cancellation with less than 24 hours’ notice will be charged half-price
- Reservations with less than 24 hours’ notice will be charged an extra 5’000 LBP
(e.g. Cancelling or booking for a Sunday’s event on Saturday will be subject to the above terms)
ESSENTIAL ECOTOURISTIC RULES & REGULATIONS
- Smoking is strictly prohibited during the event
- Always follow the guide on the designated trail
- Do not go off road without notifying the guide
- Do not get close to a cliff especially when the guide in charge tells you not to do so
- Although accidents are covered by the insurance but they remain under the responsibility of the member
- Sometimes, due to reasons beyond our control, slight modifications to the program may occur. Ecotourism rules must be followed, otherwise personal accidents will not be accounted for by the insurance.
RESERVATION: Every day from 8am till 5pm on 03-917190 or 79-115001. It is preferable to send an SMS or WhatsApp from your mobile, giving your name, surname, and the event you wish to join.
- “Sports Experts” is the exclusive sports gear and outfit sponsor of Vamos Todos. Members will get a special discount at all “Sports Experts” branches in Lebanon
- “Antaki Group” is the exclusive “Fujifilm” cameras & devices sponsor of Vamos Todos.
- “LIA insurance” is the exclusive insurance company sponsor of Vamos Todos.
Reserve for this Event
Back to all the Events