08 Dec 2019
Hiking - Assia - Assia Batroun
In the Assyrian language, the word ‘assia’ means ‘medical practitioner’. Assia was named after a monk who cared for patients and managed a monastery holding the name of St. Assia Monastery.
Assia is a village of exceptional beauty. It is rich in remainders of ancient civilizations; where we can see sarcophagi, old historical churches and old grape and olive presses. The village has many springs and water ponds; Saidet el Qalaa Pond, (or The Lady of the Fortress Pond), which is the most beautiful sight we will encounter. Just sitting there by the pond and watching the waterfall overhead is truly amazing! Assia is also known for its handcrafted pottery.
Our hike will be divided into two levels which will start from different points, but will meet along the way and continue the journey together.
LEVEL 3 will start from the village’s center. You will visit the important landmarks of Assia and get a clear explanation about them. The historical monastery of St. Assia is one of the landmarks to be visited.
LEVEL 6 will start from Ain Ghar and head to Ain Blatt which is situated in a deep valley with three channels. From there we will go to the village’s center and meet the other group and continue the trail together. The trail will lead us to Saidet el Qalaa Pond, a most picturesque place where the sight and sound of water will leave us speechless! After a small rest, we will head to a historical church
The Lady of the Fortress where Canaanite sarcophagi and old grape presses are located. There are many huge and beautiful oak trees. Lunch will be under one of these trees.
Afterwards, we will go to Mar Touma Monastery. It is a beautiful place in the midst of breathtaking oak trees. From there, we will go to the village of Assia to visit one of the pottery artisans. The artisan will demonstrate to you the way this traditional craft is done. You can buy some of the products if you wish to.
Assia’s hike is not just a hike in a very beautiful nature, along streams, ponds, huge trees, and breathtaking views. It is a cultural tour as well. Don’t miss it!
In Batroun district
850 m above sea level
70 km from Beirut
WHEN: Sunday, December 8
MEETING PLACE: 7:30 AM in the parking of Sagesse School in Jdeideh, facing the public garden. (See map on:
There will be a breakfast stop along the way.
PRICE: 55,000 LL per person including transport, guides and insurance. (Please get the exact change to facilitate the registration process).
WHAT TO GET: Lunch, light snacks that will boost up your energy such as dried fruits, water, cap, sunglasses and sunscreen. Wear comfortable shoes such as hiking shoes and always keep a windproof jacket in your backpack
- Children with the age of 10 and younger will have a discount of 20’000 LBP
- Children/ Teenagers between the age of 11 and 18 will have a discount of 15’000 LBP
- University students will have a discounts of 10’000 LBP provided that they present their university card
- Groups with 5 to 9 persons, with different criteria than the above, will get a 5’000 LBP discount
- Groups with 10 or more persons, with different criteria than the above, will get a 10’000 LBP discount
- Cancellation with less than 24 hours’ notice will be charged half-price
- Reservations with less than 24 hours’ notice will be charged an extra 5’000 LBP
(e.g. Cancelling or booking for a Sunday’s event on Saturday will be subject to the above terms)
ESSENTIAL ECOTOURISTIC RULES & REGULATIONS
- Smoking is strictly prohibited during the event
- Always follow the guide on the designated trail
- Do not go off road without notifying the guide
- Do not get close to a cliff especially when the guide in charge tells you not to do so
- Although accidents are covered by the insurance but they remain under the responsibility of the member
- Sometimes, due to reasons beyond our control, slight modifications to the program may occur. Ecotourism rules must be followed, otherwise personal accidents will not be accounted for by the insurance.
RESERVATION: Every day from 8am till 5pm on 03-917190 or 79-115001. It is preferable to send an SMS or WhatsApp from your mobile, giving your name, surname, and the event you wish to join.
- “Sports Experts” is the exclusive sports gear and outfit sponsor of Vamos Todos. Members will get a special discount at all “Sports Experts” branches in Lebanon
- “LIA insurance” is the exclusive insurance company sponsor of Vamos Todos.
Reserve for this Event
Back to all the Events