09 May 2021
Hiking Trip - Serel Aito - Zgharta District
Aito village lies on four hills: "Jabal Aito (El Aren), El Alama, Dnit, and Kanissa Hill. It is one of the first villages in Casa Zgharta.
The name of Aito is translated as' Summer Resort "in Syriac, in reference to its location on an elevation relatively close to the coast.
Aito is famous for its horn-like structure cut into rocks, known as the Qarn (Horn) of Aito.
Aito's landscape is rocky, with forests of trees growing between the rocks. The town has some old ruins, such as an old tower and a temple. Above the temple stands the Monastery of Saint Simon (Al Amoudi) indicating that this land was a Phoenician place of worship. A completely submerged sarcophagus cut into rocks was discovered in Aito and has been deemed very important by researchers.
During the 2nd century BC, Aito became famous for its forests, as indicated by a hieroglyphic inscription kept in the Beirut National Museum.
Discover with us this beautiful area. The hike will be divided into two levels.
LEVEL 3 will start from Serel. You will see an ancient church where the body of a priest lies intact. From there, the trail will lead to Mar Challita, an ancient monastery situated at the top of Dnit. The hike will end in Deir Mar Semaan. There, you can take your time and visit the monastery, as well as St. Rafqa hermitage and museum.
LEVEL 6 will take the same trail as level 3, but once you arrive to Mar Semaan, you will continue in a steep uphill trail until you reach the top of Arn Aito. The views you’ll see from up there are worth all the effort you put to get there.
WHERE: Serel Aito
In the North
103 Km from Beirut
1000 - 1300 meters above sea level.
WHEN: Sunday, May 09
MEETING PLACE: 7:15 AM in the parking of Sagesse School in Jdeideh, facing the public garden. (See map on:
There will be a breakfast stop along the way.
PRICE: 80’000 LL per person including transport, guides and insurance.
Kindly get the exact change to avoid transmitting germs.
You can now register at all branches of Antoine Library or on the following link:
Looking forward to see you! Until then stay safe.
DO NOT FORGET TO:
• Get your own light snack that will boost your stamina and keep you energetic.
• Equip yourself with your own water bottles a cap and sunscreen.
• Distancing from each other is a must, offering or sharing snacks are not encouraged. Keep a windproof jacket in your backpack.
WHAT TO GET: Medical face masks, Handgel, lunch, light snacks that will boost up your energy such as dried fruits, water, cap, sunglasses and sunscreen. Wear comfortable shoes such as hiking shoes and always keep a windproof jacket in your backpack.
- Children with the age of 10 and younger will have a discount of 20’000 LBP
- Children/ Teenagers between the age of 11 and 18 will have a discount of 15’000 LBP
- University students will have a discount of 10’000 LBP provided that they present their university card
- Groups with 5 to 9 persons, with different criteria than the above, will get a 5’000 LBP discount
- Groups with 10 or more persons, with different criteria than the above, will get a 10’000 LBP discount
- Cancellation with less than 24 hours’ notice will be charged half-price
- Reservations with less than 24 hours’ notice will be charged an extra 5’000 LBP
(e.g. Cancelling or booking for a Sunday’s event on Saturday will be subject to the above terms)
ESSENTIAL ECOTOURISTIC RULES & REGULATIONS
- Smoking is strictly prohibited during the event
- Always follow the guide on the designated trail
- Do not go off road without notifying the guide
- Do not get close to a cliff especially when the guide in charge tells you not to do so
- Although accidents are covered by the insurance but they remain under the responsibility of the member
- Sometimes, due to reasons beyond our control, slight modifications to the program may occur. Ecotourism rules must be followed, otherwise personal accidents will not be accounted for by the insurance.
RESERVATION: Every day from 8am till 5pm on 03-917190 or 79-115001. It is preferable to send an SMS or WhatsApp from your mobile, giving your name, surname, and the event you wish to join.
- “Sports Experts” is the exclusive sports gear and outfit sponsor of Vamos Todos. Members will get a special discount at all “Sports Experts” branches in Lebanon
- “LIA insurance” is the exclusive insurance company sponsor of Vamos Todos.
Reserve for this Event
Back to all the Events