15 May 2021
Hiking Trip - Arnoun Beaufort Castle - Nabatieh District
Arnoun…Beaufort Castle or Qalaat el Shkif.
Beaufort Castle stands on a rocky crest amidst enchanting countryside, not far from Mount Hermon and overlooking the Litani River in South Lebanon. Beaufort Castle, or Qalaat el-Shkif, is a mighty fortress standing on a strategic site on the roads of Tyre and the South.
The view all around is panoramic and enough to take anyone's breathe away. You will have a clear view all the way across the border of the country.
The Crusaders took possession of it in 1139, and there are traces there of earlier Arab construction.
You will enjoy hiking to it along a nice and safe path. Getting to the castle is worth every step you take!
Before starting the hike, we will visit Zaatar Zawtar. It is a thyme plantation run by a villager. Zaatar Zawtar is organic, certified by LibanCert. You will see how thyme is planted, dried, grounded, and mixed to become ready for eating. You will also see how thyme can be distilled, and how its oil is extracted. There you can buy homemade organic products.
LEVEL 3: Will start the hike from Zawtar Village. The path is safe and not too hard and we will have enough stops along the way to rest and take pictures. The hike will end at the castle, where you will have enough time to visit it thoroughly.
LEVEL 6: Will start the hike from Khardaleh just by Litani River. The beginning of the track is a steep uphill, that later becomes much easier. You will climb all the way up to the castle. This track demands physical competence. Once in the castle, you will have sufficient time to visit it thoroughly.
After visiting the citadel, we will all have lunch together in Kalaa Rest House. Located at the foot of the citadel overlooking the views of the whole region. The food will be homemade Lebanese dishes, typical of the southern region.
WHERE: Arnoun, Beaufort Castle
In the south
100km from Beirut
650 m above sea level.
WHEN: Saturday, May 15
MEETING PLACE: 7:15 AM in the parking of Sagesse School in Jdeideh, facing the public garden. (See map on:
There will be a breakfast stop along the way.
PRICE: 135,000 LL per person including transport, guides, fortress entrance, insurance and lunch.
85,000 LL without lunch (Please get the exact change to facilitate the registration process).
WHAT TO GET: Medical face masks, Handgel, lunch, light snacks that will boost up your energy such as dried fruits, water, cap, sunglasses and sunscreen. Wear comfortable shoes such as hiking shoes and always keep a windproof jacket in your backpack.
DO NOT FORGET TO:
• Get your own light snack that will boost your stamina and keep you energetic.
• Equip yourself with your own water bottles a cap and sunscreen.
• Distancing from each other is a must, offering or sharing snacks are not encouraged. Keep a windproof jacket in your backpack.
- Children with the age of 10 and younger will have a discount of 25’000 LBP
- Children/ Teenagers between the age of 11 and 18 will have a discount of 20’000 LBP
- University students will have a discounts of 15’000 LBP provided that they present their university card
- Groups with 5 to 9 persons, with different criteria than the above, will get a 5’000 LBP discount
- Groups with 10 or more persons, with different criteria than the above, will get a 10’000 LBP discount
- Cancellation with less than 24 hours’ notice will be charged half-price
- Reservations with less than 24 hours’ notice will be charged an extra 5’000 LBP
(e.g. Cancelling or booking for a Sunday’s event on Saturday will be subject to the above terms)
ESSENTIAL ECOTOURISTIC RULES & REGULATIONS
- Smoking is strictly prohibited during the event
- Always follow the guide on the designated trail
- Do not go off road without notifying the guide
- Do not get close to a cliff especially when the guide in charge tells you not to do so
- Although accidents are covered by the insurance but they remain under the responsibility of the member
- Sometimes, due to reasons beyond our control, slight modifications to the program may occur. Ecotourism rules must be followed, otherwise personal accidents will not be accounted for by the insurance.
RESERVATION: Every day from 8am till 5pm on 03-917190 or 79-115001. It is preferable to send an SMS or WhatsApp from your mobile, giving your name, surname, and the event you wish to join.
- “Sports Experts” is the exclusive sports gear and outfit sponsor of Vamos Todos. Members will get a special discount at all “Sports Experts” branches in Lebanon.
- “LIA insurance” is the exclusive insurance company sponsor of Vamos Todos.
Reserve for this Event
Back to all the Events