06 Dec 2020
Hiking Trip - Deir el Mokhales – Baanoub - Jezzine District
This Sunday, we decided to hike in the beautiful location of Deir el Mokhales and the Baanoub village.
Baanoub village is a small abandoned village of seven houses. However, work is underway to transform it into an ecotourism campsite. A local association is working on rehabilitating the land and is preparing to plant it in an organic and eco-friendly way. Being an eco-tourism club, Vamos Todos highly encourages such endeavors.
Deir el Mokhales dates back to the 16th century. It is a historical monastery possessing a beautiful church and a collection of icons, manuscripts and religious objects. It produces organic olive oil and carob molasses in addition to many local produce. Since it is the olive season, you will see how olive oil is extracted. You will also see the production of traditional soap made from olive oil, and the way molasses are produced from carob.
The visit to Deir el Mokhales will revive the old Lebanese traditions.
Qalaat el Naqba is a very old citadel built atop a hill. Not much information about it is available. Several well preserved stretches of enclosure wall, in addition to parts of the main citadel can still be seen.
The hike will be one Level:
LEVEL 5 will start from Baanoub, reach the old abandoned houses, then take an upward trail to reach Qalaat el Naqba. You will walk along an easy trail leading to the old houses. From there you will continue along a nice trail to see an old bridge. The trail will then lead to a hermitage and then end in Deir el Saideh for lunch.
After the hike, we will go to Deir el Mokhales by bus, visit it and buy some local produce.
WHERE: Deir el Mokhales - Baanoub
South & Mount Lebanon
40 Km from Beirut
400 m above sea level
WHEN: Sunday, December 06
MEETING PLACE: 7:15 AM in the parking of Sagesse School in Jdeideh, facing the public garden. (See map on:
There will be a breakfast stop along the way.
PRICE: 70’000 LL per person including transport, guides, the tree and insurance. Kindly get the exact change to avoid transmitting germs.
Looking forward to see you! Until then stay safe.
DO NOT FORGET TO:
• Get your own light snack that will boost your stamina and keep you energetic.
• Equip yourself with your own water bottles a cap and sunscreen.
• Distancing from each other is a must, offering or sharing snacks are not encouraged. Keep a windproof jacket in your backpack.
WHAT TO GET: Medical face masks, Handgel, lunch, light snacks that will boost up your energy such as dried fruits, water, cap, sunglasses and sunscreen. Wear comfortable shoes such as hiking shoes and always keep a windproof jacket in your backpack.
- Children with the age of 10 and younger will have a discount of 20’000 LBP
- Children/ Teenagers between the age of 11 and 18 will have a discount of 15’000 LBP
- University students will have a discounts of 10’000 LBP provided that they present their university card
- Groups with 5 to 9 persons, with different criteria than the above, will get a 5’000 LBP discount
- Groups with 10 or more persons, with different criteria than the above, will get a 10’000 LBP discount
- Cancellation with less than 24 hours’ notice will be charged half-price
- Reservations with less than 24 hours’ notice will be charged an extra 5’000 LBP
(e.g. Cancelling or booking for a Sunday’s event on Saturday will be subject to the above terms)
ESSENTIAL ECOTOURISTIC RULES & REGULATIONS
- Smoking is strictly prohibited during the event
- Always follow the guide on the designated trail
- Do not go off road without notifying the guide
- Do not get close to a cliff especially when the guide in charge tells you not to do so
- Although accidents are covered by the insurance but they remain under the responsibility of the member
- Sometimes, due to reasons beyond our control, slight modifications to the program may occur. Ecotourism rules must be followed, otherwise personal accidents will not be accounted for by the insurance.
RESERVATION: Every day from 8am till 5pm on 03-917190 or 79-115001. It is preferable to send an SMS or WhatsApp from your mobile, giving your name, surname, and the event you wish to join.
- “Sports Experts” is the exclusive sports gear and outfit sponsor of Vamos Todos. Members will get a special discount at all “Sports Experts” branches in Lebanon
- “LIA insurance” is the exclusive insurance company sponsor of Vamos Todos.
Reserve for this Event
Back to all the Events