15 Dec 2018
Hiking Trip - Beit Chabab! - Maten District
This event is a combination of hiking and cultural excursion. We are going to visit one of the biggest most beautiful villages in Metn, the typical village of Beit Chabab.
The name derives from Syriac, meaning “the house of the neighbor.”
This village has retained its traditional crafts of pottery and bell making into the modern age.
The only bell factory in Lebanon, the craftsmen here cast the half-ton bronze bells in a single mold. The bells are usually made for Lebanon's Christian churches, who order them to a specific pitch. This traditional craft has been handed in from generation to generation in the Naffaa family. Detailed explanation of how the process is done will be generously offered to you.
We can also find in Beit Chabab the exceptional pottery workshops, which are open only during the summer months. We will visit a workshop led by the only craftsman in this domain, Fawzi Hanna Fakhoury. Fawzi will show you the long and tiring process of this craft. We will be lucky to witness such an art before it gets extinct!
The village also include plenty of traditional houses and churches, the oldest of which is the Saydet el Ghabeh (Our Lady of the Forest), which dates to 1761.
Dima, is the oldest and most famous fabric factory that used to supply the local market, and also go for export. This factory is now considered a tourist attraction and is registered in the ministry of tourism.
Mr. Joseph Anaysseh is the sole craftsman trying hard to preserve this work of art. It is important to come and visit such a traditional craft.
You will also see the “Maswal” (the big stone pool where the pottery mud gets soaked and cleared from pebbles), an old abandoned textile factory from the times of the Turks, and the hermitage of St. Roukoz.
All of these points of interest will be visited while we hike and walk in Beit Chabab.
It will be a one level hike, about 12 km of moderate difficulty. The hike will be in the vast forests of Beit Chabab and the neighboring village called Mar Boutros. You will encounter wonderful views in the midst of nature. There will be a muddy spot where you will have to cross with a bit of adventure. The hike will be intervened by some stretches of roads and stony staircases.
Our tour in this village is unique. You will be amazed to find out how rich it is in craftsmanship, typical Lebanese houses, old abandoned houses, and vast forests.
This hike is a melting pot of cultural sites, beautiful hike in nature, and a tour among old houses and narrow stone staircases.
WHERE: Beit Chabab
In the region of Metn
24 Km from Beirut
650 meters above sea level.
WHEN: Saturday, Dec 15
MEETING PLACE: 7:30 AM in the parking of Sagesse School in Jdeideh, facing the public garden. (See map on:
There will be a breakfast stop along the way.
PRICE: 55,000 LL per person including transport, guides and insurance. (Please get the exact change to facilitate the registration process).
WHAT TO GET: Lunch, light snacks that will boost up your energy such as dried fruits, water, cap, sunglasses and sunscreen. Wear comfortable shoes such as hiking shoes and always keep a windproof jacket in your backpack
- Children with the age of 10 and younger will have a discount of 20’000 LBP
- Children/ Teenagers between the age of 11 and 18 will have a discount of 15’000 LBP
- University students will have a discounts of 10’000 LBP provided that they present their university card
- Groups with 5 to 9 persons, with different criteria than the above, will get a 5’000 LBP discount
- Groups with 10 or more persons, with different criteria than the above, will get a 10’000 LBP discount
- Cancellation with less than 24 hours’ notice will be charged half-price
- Reservations with less than 24 hours’ notice will be charged an extra 5’000 LBP
(e.g. Cancelling or booking for a Sunday’s event on Saturday will be subject to the above terms)
ESSENTIAL ECOTOURISTIC RULES & REGULATIONS
- Smoking is strictly prohibited during the event
- Always follow the guide on the designated trail
- Do not go off road without notifying the guide
- Do not get close to a cliff especially when the guide in charge tells you not to do so
- Although accidents are covered by the insurance but they remain under the responsibility of the member
- Sometimes, due to reasons beyond our control, slight modifications to the program may occur. Ecotourism rules must be followed, otherwise personal accidents will not be accounted for by the insurance.
RESERVATION: Every day from 8am till 5pm on 03-917190 or 79-115001. It is preferable to send an SMS or WhatsApp from your mobile, giving your name, surname, and the event you wish to join.
- “Sports Experts” is the exclusive sports gear and outfit sponsor of Vamos Todos. Members will get a special discount at all “Sports Experts” branches in Lebanon
- “Antaki Group” is the exclusive “Fujifilm” cameras & devices sponsor of Vamos Todos.
- “LIA insurance” is the exclusive insurance company sponsor of Vamos Todos.
Reserve for this Event
Back to all the Events