22 Jun 2019
Hiking Trip - Yammouneh - Baalbek district
Yammouneh is the site of an ancient sacred lake and Roman temple.
A great water cavern west of the temple fills the lake each year, although at other times it may appear almost dry. Luxurious Roman villas used to occupy the area between the cavern and the temple and numerous altars, statues and other elements have been discovered nearby.
All that remains of the temple today is a retaining wall of limestone blocks which goes down to the lake level. Beneath are believed to be subterranean chambers, probably dedicated to Venus-Astrate. Legend has it that when Typhon made war against the heavens, it was at Yammouneh that Venus changed herself into a fish.
Yammouneh is rich in water at this time of year. It is the best time to visit. There, you will see old ruins, lots of water sources, and amazing scenery.
All levels will start from the end of Yammouneh. You will see a beautifully built tree-house, listen to a brief introduction about Yammouneh, then we will be divided into three levels.
Level 6 will take the tough path, with ascents and descents. The path is partly along a pebbled ridge, which is quite slippery. Then they will head down to the water source that is very strong at this time of year; a wonderful waterfall indeed.
Level 4 will take it easier, walking along the cliff overlooking the entire plain of Yammouneh. They will have enough time to rest and take pictures. Then they will head to the waterfall that is at its peak of its beauty at this time of year.
Level 2 will walk along a dirt road, overlooking Yammouneh plain. The walk is easy, suitable for all. You will get the chance to see the waterfall at the end of the hike.
All levels will meet for lunch at a small restaurant facing the waterfall. Lunch will be prepared by the local organization of the village, specialized in the breeding of fish.
We will all eat delicious fish and organic Lebanese mezza. It will be a great opportunity to get to know the villagers, taste their food and support them financially.
On our way back, we will visit the miraculous shrine of Saidet Bechwat.
The sanctuary of Our Lady of Bechwat is always full, day and night. Pilgrims flock by the thousands, from all regions and all religions, seeking intercession of the Virgin.
It is an important place to visit and a great way to end our day.
1500 m above sea level
160 km from Beirut
WHEN: Saturday, June 22
MEETING PLACE: 7:30 AM in the parking of Sagesse School in Jdeideh, facing the public garden. (See map on:
There will be a breakfast stop along the way.
PRICE: 90,000 LL per person including transport, guides, insurance and lunch.
60,000 LL without lunch (Please get the exact change to facilitate the registration process).
WHAT TO GET: Light snacks that will boost up your energy such as dried fruits, water, cap, sunglasses and sunscreen. Wear comfortable shoes such as hiking shoes and always keep a windproof jacket in your backpack.
- Children with the age of 10 and younger will have a discount of 25’000 LBP
- Children/ Teenagers between the age of 11 and 18 will have a discount of 20’000 LBP
- University students will have a discounts of 15’000 LBP provided that they present their university card
- Groups with 5 to 9 persons, with different criteria than the above, will get a 5’000 LBP discount
- Groups with 10 or more persons, with different criteria than the above, will get a 10’000 LBP discount
- Cancellation with less than 24 hours’ notice will be charged half-price
- Reservations with less than 24 hours’ notice will be charged an extra 5’000 LBP
(e.g. Cancelling or booking for a Sunday’s event on Saturday will be subject to the above terms)
ESSENTIAL ECOTOURISTIC RULES & REGULATIONS
- Smoking is strictly prohibited during the event
- Always follow the guide on the designated trail
- Do not go off road without notifying the guide
- Do not get close to a cliff especially when the guide in charge tells you not to do so
- Although accidents are covered by the insurance but they remain under the responsibility of the member
- Sometimes, due to reasons beyond our control, slight modifications to the program may occur. Ecotourism rules must be followed, otherwise personal accidents will not be accounted for by the insurance.
RESERVATION: Every day from 8am till 5pm on 03-917190 or 79-115001. It is preferable to send an SMS or WhatsApp from your mobile, giving your name, surname, and the event you wish to join.
- “Sports Experts” is the exclusive sports gear and outfit sponsor of Vamos Todos. Members will get a special discount at all “Sports Experts” branches in Lebanon
- “Antaki Group” is the exclusive “Fujifilm” cameras & devices sponsor of Vamos Todos.
- “LIA insurance” is the exclusive insurance company sponsor of Vamos Todos.
Reserve for this Event
Back to all the Events