22 Nov 2023
Hiking - Bchaale Assia Hike - Batroun District
Our hike this time will take us to two of the most breathtaking villages in the Batroun caza, Bchaale & Assia.
“Bchaale,” which means “rest and safety” in Assyrian, is a charming village nestled amidst the stunning hills of Batroun caza. It's most renowned for its 6000-year-old olive trees, often referred to as “The Sisters.” Legend has it that these trees have stood since the time of Noah's flood, making them the supposed sisters of Noah himself. This village is a must-visit due to its unique and ancient inhabitants!
Named after a monk who cared for patients in the area, “Assia,” which means ‘medical practitioner’ in the Assyrian language, is a village of exceptional beauty. It boasts a rich historical tapestry, with remnants of ancient civilizations, including sarcophagi, historic churches, and ancient grape and olive presses. Assia is also known for its numerous springs and water ponds, with Saidet el Qalaa Pond (or The Lady of the Fortress Pond) being the most enchanting sight we'll encounter. The water level here remains consistent throughout the year. Simply sitting by the pond and gazing at the overhead waterfall is a truly remarkable experience. Assia is also renowned for its handcrafted pottery.
Our hike will be of moderate difficulty, commencing with a visit to 'the olive tree sisters' and then proceeding to the historic St. Stephan church, the village's primary church. From there, we'll embark on a picturesque trail that leads to Mar Touma Monastery, surrounded by magnificent oak trees.
"Afterward, our journey will lead us to 'Saydet el Qalaa,' where we will enjoy a picturesque view before proceeding to Assia's main square."
During our visit to Assia, you'll have the unique opportunity to witness the art of pottery craftsmanship up close and interact with the skilled artisan. He will provide a live demonstration of this traditional craft, and if you're interested, you can purchase some of the exquisite handcrafted items.
Furthermore, we will savor a homemade lunch at this location, lovingly prepared by the local community.
WHERE: Bchaale Assia
In Batroun district
1300 m above sea level
70 km from Beirut
WHEN: Wednesday, November 22
MEETING PLACE: 7:30 AM in the parking of Sagesse School in Jdeideh, facing the public garden. (See map on:
There will be a breakfast stop along the way.
PRICE: 50$ per person including transport, guides, insurance, reserve entrance and lunch.
30$ without lunch
Kindly get the exact change.
You can register now at all branches of Antoine Library or on the following link:
WHAT TO GET: Light snacks that will boost up your energy such as dried fruits, water, cap, sunglasses and sunscreen. Wear comfortable shoes such as hiking shoes and always keep a windproof jacket in your backpack.
- Children with the age of 10 and younger will have a discount of 5$.
- Children/ Teenagers between the age of 11 and 18 will have a discount of 4$.
- University students will have a discount of 3$ provided that they present their university card.
- Groups with 5 to 9 persons, with different criteria than the above, will get a 2$ discount.
- Groups with 10 or more persons, with different criteria than the above, will get a 3$ discount.
- Cancellation with less than 24 hours’ notice will be charged half-price.
- Reservations with less than 24 hours’ notice will be charged an extra 2$.
(e.g. Cancelling or booking for a Sunday’s event on Saturday will be subject to the above terms).
ESSENTIAL ECOTOURISTIC RULES & REGULATIONS
- Smoking is strictly prohibited during the event
- Always follow the guide on the designated trail
- Do not go off road without notifying the guide
- Do not get close to a cliff especially when the guide in charge tells you not to do so
- Although accidents are covered by the insurance but they remain under the responsibility of the member
- Sometimes, due to reasons beyond our control, slight modifications to the program may occur. Ecotourism rules must be followed, otherwise personal accidents will not be accounted for by the insurance.
RESERVATION: Every day from 8am till 5pm on 03-917190 or 79-115001. It is preferable to send an SMS or WhatsApp from your mobile, giving your name, surname, and the event you wish to join.
- “Sports Experts” is the exclusive sports gear and outfit sponsor of Vamos Todos. Members will get a special discount at all “Sports Experts” branches in Lebanon
- “LIA insurance” is the exclusive insurance company sponsor of Vamos Todos.
Reserve for this Event
Back to all the Events