09 Dec 2018
Hiking Trip - Lamartine Ras El Metn - Metn District
“From this place, God's gift to perceive His Work can be captured through glimpse.”
Alphonse de Lamartine (1790-1869).
Alphonse de Lamartine (1790-1869), the French poet and politician, lived in Lebanon during his voyage to the Orient. He loved the country and acquired an amazing inspired by its beauty. Many sites in Lebanon are named after his family name, Lamartine. One of them is Lamartine Valley which was the source of inspiration to some of his literature masterpieces.
There are many sections in Lamartine valley suitable for hiking. This time we have chosen Ras el Metn a village known for its pine trees surrounding the village.
In addition to pine nuts, olives, grapes, figs, apricots and other fruits are cultivated there in this fertile village.
A look around Ras El Metn will reveal a number of interesting sights: a large serial (1755), Nabaa Ain El Marj (1472), ancient tombs carved into rocky cliffs, and natural grottos.
We will also see an old abandoned monastery, Deir Mar Youhana which is located at a hilltop in Shehlen, where you can see the whole region from Bhamdoun to Ktaleh.
The hike will be divided into three levels:
LEVEL 3 will be an easy one, mostly flat and downhill, with a descent of 280 meters. The hike will start from Ras el Metn. We will walk among pine trees and see old abandoned houses and bridges.
We will see the main water source of Nabeh el Delbi, which supplies Beirut with drinking water. There, you’ll wait by the river, while Level 4 go uphill to Deir Mar Youhana.
Then you will continue all together along the river bank, and end the hike at Ain Sheikh Hassan Halawi, another fresh water source.
LEVEL 6 (13.5 km) will start from the village of Qortada. The trail starts with downhill and uphill stretches reaching the water source of Ras el Metn. From there, another uphill stretch will take you to the trail of level 4, and continue along it until Ain Sheikh Hassan Halawi.
All levels will meet for lunch at the river bank. Please bring your lunch with you.
At the end of the hike, you will take the bus to the village, to see the Serail and the municipality of Ras el Metn.
On a high hill stands the large serail, or government house, built by the Lamaayeen princes in 1775. The huge building later served as a high school. Although damaged in Lebanon's recent war, one can still appreciate the serail's elegant courtyard and bell tower.
WHERE: Lamartine Valley
Ras El Metn
800 m above sea level
20 km from Beirut
WHEN: Sunday, Dec 09
MEETING PLACE: 7:30 AM in the parking of Sagesse School in Jdeideh, facing the public garden. (See map on:
There will be a breakfast stop along the way.
PRICE: 55,000 LL per person including transport, guides and insurance. (Please get the exact change to facilitate the registration process).
WHAT TO GET: Lunch, light snacks that will boost up your energy such as dried fruits, water, cap, sunglasses and sunscreen. Wear comfortable shoes such as hiking shoes and always keep a windproof jacket in your backpack
- Children with the age of 10 and younger will have a discount of 20’000 LBP
- Children/ Teenagers between the age of 11 and 18 will have a discount of 15’000 LBP
- University students will have a discounts of 10’000 LBP provided that they present their university card
- Groups with 5 to 9 persons, with different criteria than the above, will get a 5’000 LBP discount
- Groups with 10 or more persons, with different criteria than the above, will get a 10’000 LBP discount
- Cancellation with less than 24 hours’ notice will be charged half-price
- Reservations with less than 24 hours’ notice will be charged an extra 5’000 LBP
(e.g. Cancelling or booking for a Sunday’s event on Saturday will be subject to the above terms)
ESSENTIAL ECOTOURISTIC RULES & REGULATIONS
- Smoking is strictly prohibited during the event
- Always follow the guide on the designated trail
- Do not go off road without notifying the guide
- Do not get close to a cliff especially when the guide in charge tells you not to do so
- Although accidents are covered by the insurance but they remain under the responsibility of the member
- Sometimes, due to reasons beyond our control, slight modifications to the program may occur. Ecotourism rules must be followed, otherwise personal accidents will not be accounted for by the insurance.
RESERVATION: Every day from 8am till 5pm on 03-917190 or 79-115001. It is preferable to send an SMS or WhatsApp from your mobile, giving your name, surname, and the event you wish to join.
- “Sports Experts” is the exclusive sports gear and outfit sponsor of Vamos Todos. Members will get a special discount at all “Sports Experts” branches in Lebanon
- “Antaki Group” is the exclusive “Fujifilm” cameras & devices sponsor of Vamos Todos.
- “LIA insurance” is the exclusive insurance company sponsor of Vamos Todos.
Reserve for this Event
Back to all the Events